Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 16:03:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        luigi@info.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with DiskOnChip ...

As I recall, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>> Getting a disklabel onto them was a pain. But I have had a hard time
>> with disklabeling since the old days of 386BSD were past. Someone's
>> being too smart now :-). Anyway, I finally got the disklabel on,
>
> have a look at how picobsd does, it might help (the script is
> /usr/src/release/picobsd/build/picobsd)

I can't help but jump in; this goes by about once a month.

The first time I was faced with this problem, I
 1)  used dd to copy the first 100 blocks from a working drive to
     the new one (raw device, whole drive).
 B)  Used "disklabel -e" to fix it up how I liked.

Undoubtably not the "right" way, but...

As an aside, is there any reason the sysinstall curses-based fdisk
and disklabel shouldn't be stand alone utilities?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com