Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 2008 22:51:17 -0400
From:      Sahil Tandon <sahil@tandon.net>
To:        Tom Marchand <m0rchand@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/hosts

Tom Marchand <m0rchand@comcast.net> wrote:

> Everything is set correctly in rc.conf.  What I have noticed is that
> ping can resolve hosts from /etc/hosts.

If ping works then everything is fine in /etc/hosts.  You haven't told us
what program you're using to resolve the 'test' hostname.  If you're
using something like dig or nslookup, then this is expected behavior;
those programs are *supposed* to query the name server and do not read
/etc/hosts.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@tandon.net>