Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:58:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Daniel Frasnelli <dfrasnel@csee.wvu.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TTF -> Type 1 font converter? (xmbdfed port status)

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Daniel Frasnelli wrote:

> 	I recently came across several TrueType fonts I would like to use
> in documents (with Applixware), and am currently searching for a TTF->Type 1
> (bdf) font conversion tool.  A few Usenet articles I came across mention
> xmbdfed having a built-in converter, but it appears that our port is broken
> at the moment.

A while ago an update to the program compiled but refused to run
on FreeBSD.  Since the older distfiles went away and I did not
have time to investigate, I marked it as broken.  Since then
there have been a couple new releases that I should check out.

The maintainer of xmbdfed (not the port) is also the author of a
truetype font rendering engine which can be used by xmbdfed.  I'm
sorry I don't have a URL for it handy.  The truetype engine
should probably be brought in as a separate port which xmbdfed
would then depend on.  It could theoretically also be used by an
X font server which would be the preferred way of using truetype
fonts.

Of course, that assumes the thing can be made to work on
FreeBSD...I'm going on vacation soon so I won't be investigating
this in the immediate future.

-john