Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:59:15 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fcash@ocis.net>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quote from a NetBSDer

On Sunday 22 December 2002 11:11, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> Heard from a red-neck^W^Wdie-hard NetBSDer:

> =09=AB Using the ports system [on FreeBSD] is like using Debian and
>       accepting that the maintainer dictates his choices upon you. =BB

> Nevermind that he should speak about packages but then again I wasn't
> expecting anything fair from him, seeing as fanatical as he is...

You told that you can tweak the Makefile for a port any way you want to=20
add/remove configure parameters, right?

You also told him that one can use "make patch" and the run the=20
configure portion by hand from within the work/ directory, right?

You also told him that the ports tree using source tarballs to custom=20
compile each app, whereas Debian's apt system uses pre-compiled=20
binaries that one cannot change?  In other words, it's an apples vs.=20
oranges comparison.

Now, if he was complaing about using pkg_add as being the same as=20
Debian's apt, and that one cannot customise the apps, then he has a=20
valid complaint.  However, considering the fact that NetBSD's pkgsrc=20
system is virtually identical to FreeBSD's ports, I honestly cannot see=20
the origin of hi beef.  Is he strange or something??  :)

--=20
Freddie
fcash@ocis.net