Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 11:49:43 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <redprince@redprince.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

"G. Adam Stanislav" wrote:

> At 19:51 13-05-2000 -0700, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> >       standard corporate lawyering includes the adoption of these
> >agreements as a standard company policy.   those that do not agree are
> >encouraged to seek employment elsewhere.
>
> Which is why I work as a nursing assistant. I was not willing to sign my
> brains away and was subsequently "laid off" and could not get another
> programming job anywhere in Pittsburgh (where I lived at the time).

Good thing that I am a *Mechanical* Engineer. Companies here have a note
on their contract that states that you have a position of
"responsability" in the organization. This responsability implicitly
means that you might have to stay extra time or even work on Saturdays
and Sundays. Bank employees are especially exploited by these contracts.

Eventually, I completely turned around the rule..I got off early because
I had already fulfilled my responsabilities. I worked very hard but my
time was so well organized my boss thought the job could be
redistributed among his other engineers and my contract was not renewed.
Nowadays I laugh thinking of the amount of problems he probably brought
on to the company in his search for efficiency.

As I see it today, companies don't own your time, they want the results
of your work. Any staff manager that wants to see his employees working
ALL the time should have a careful reading of "The Goal". If you want to
keep your patent, I doubt anyone will notice if you keep a low quality
implementation for the company and a better "experimental" version for
yourself. Yes, you are hiding your best abilities from the company..but
if the company is not treating you in a friendly manner anyway.

cheers,

     Pedro.