Date:      Sun, 03 Jan 1999 14:48:55 +0800
From:      Peihan Wang <peihanw@mx.cei.gov.cn>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   grep binary files under xterm

I am using CTMed 2.2.8 and X11R6 3.3.2.
My window manager is lesstif-0.84.

Under xterm, for example, When I do the following:

/etc$ grep abcdefghijklmnop pwd.db
/etc$

Because there is no string "abcdefghijklmnop" in
file pwd.db, nothing happens.

But if I do the following instead:

/etc$ grep root pwd.db

Since pwd.db must contains string "root", my xterm
window becomes a mass. ASCII can not be displayed,
all what I can see are strange characters.

I also tried some binary files while using grep. If
the file contains the searching string, xterm window
becomes a mass. But this will not happen in console
mode.

How could I tune something to correct it ?

Wang Peihan