Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 05:16:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        mpp@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dup3() - I've thought it over and decided...

> > How about going more along the checkpoint/restart route?  Suspend
> > the process, checkpoint it, and on restart you can reconnect stdin/out/err
> > to either the current tty, or to another file.  Reconnecting to
> > a pipeline should also be possible.  I can dig up the USENIX paper
> > the Cray guys wrote on this if you like :-).
>
> Does the checkpoint feature allow you to complete snapshot process
> state?  That's another item on my wishlist. :-)
>
> I wouldn't mind reading that paper, if you can dig it up.

If you do some searches on checkpointing you should find some on
line articles about issues involved in checkpointing processes on
Unix.  I stumbled on them once when looking for something else and
perused them a little since I had once been involved in evaluating
doing that for a minisuper (didn't do any more than that though).
Obviously, long running computational environments want a fairly
transparent checkpoint/restart.

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936