Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 10:15:27 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <mikereed@speakeasy.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: natd won't nat

> Trying an experiment using vtund (from ports/net) to open VPN connection
from home (DSL) into FreeBSD box at work. I finally got the tunnel working
on tun0, but when I try to send a packet from home, the FreeBSD gateway
doesn't translate the packet.

> network diagram:
>
> home wrkstn (w2k)
> ----------------
> 10.0.0.10     ->
>
> OpenBSD router
> -------------------------------------
> 10.0.0.1(ep0) -> 192.168.1.1(tun0) ->
>
> FreeBSD VPN gtwy
> 192.168.1.5(tun0) -> work LAN x.x.x.x(fxp0)
>
> If I try to connect from say, 10.0.0.10 to x.x.26.27, the packet will
leave fxp0 on the VPN box as 10.0.0.10 -> x.x.26.27 never to return
(obviously).
a>
> I've got a kernel compiled with 'options IPFIREWALL' and 'options
IPDIVERT'. I've got the appropriate entries in the rc.conf:

> gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="fxp0"
> natd_flags="-l"
>
> I wasn't sure whether the firewall was a problem, so I just made a brand
new rc.firewall with the following:

> /sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any
>
> Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

If you *replaced* rc.firewall with your one-liner above, then that's the
reason natd isn't working.

When natd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf (as you have), it adds a rule to ipfw
that looks like this:

/sbin/ipfw divert natd all from any to any via fxp0

which sends all incoming/outgoing packets through the natd daemon.  Without
this rule, natd doesn't get anything to work on.

--
Matt Emmerton