Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 18:40:02 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ARahimi@e-planet.com (Rahimi, Ali)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd@atipa.com, sthaug@nethelp.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

Rahimi, Ali stands accused of saying:

> >It would also be foolish to leap in in a hurry and waste scarce
> >developer resources on the next fad.
>
> Not so if every major manufacturer is looking at USB and if you're
> intereseted in staying competitive.

This isn't obvious though.  Where are all the USB peripherals?

> >I think that the lack of peripheral support is telling; particularly
>
> I think it's telling of the fact that most PCs don't have a USB port
> on them yet. Compaq and Dell will soon be shipping with USB ports
> however. USB will be here soon. Whether it will be a success, I don't
> know, I'm not an analyst, PCs with USB ports will be here.

Well, USB ports have been a selling point on a lot of systems here,
but most of the motherboards that ship with it come with mini-8 DIN
connectors rather than the "real" USB connector.  For all the
hype, nobody has yet offered me a USB peripheral of any sort.

> >the custom silicon that is almost critical to producing a
> >cost-effective peripheral just hasn't made it to market yet.  At the
>
> I regularly go to 7 different silicon manufacturers when I'm looking
> for parts. I went through all 7 of them (they're bookmarked in my
> netscape). 5 of them had a USB support chipset (the other two were
> memory companies). I'd say the silicon has made it to market. (the
> manufacturers, for your reference include TI, National, NEC,Motorola,
> etc).

Can you be a little more specific about this?  Particularly, can you
point me at the online documentation covering the _peripheral_side_
chipsets, specifically the ones that live in the I/O space of a host
micro and subsume all the protocol management?

These, and the obvious next step (putting the macrocell on the same
silicon as a micro) need to be out and _cheap_ before USB will go
anywhere.

> I can't wait to not have to hook up my mouse, my keyboard and my
> speakers to three different looking and completely separate and
> dispersed jacks.

I _appreciate_ having separate ports and sensible I/O mechanisms for
diverse peripherals.  I wish that the PC keyboard and rodent were
integrated and used a standard serial interface, but I don't think
that having a set of _speakers_ on USB makes any real sense at all.