Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 01:01:38 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Splash Screens (was Re: 3.2-RELEASE Feedback)

Randy Bush wrote:

> so, i hacked my /boot/loader.conf.local to be

Somebody will probably tell you that /boot/loader.conf is prefered.

>     splash_bmp_load="YES"
>     vesa_load="YES"
>     bitmap_load="YES"
>     bitmap_name="/boot/splash.bmp"
>     bitmap_type="splash_image_data"

You don't need to define bitmap_type, since that's already defined
in /etc/defaults/loader.conf.

> install a 1024x768 /boot/spalsh.bmp
>
> but i get
>
>     Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc04df000.
>     Preloaded elf module "splash_bmp.ko" at 0xc04df09c.
>     Preloaded elf module "vesa.ko" at 0xc04df140.
>     link_elf: symbol vm86_intcall undefined
>     Preloaded splash_image_data "/boot/splash.bmp" at 0xc04df1dc.
>     module_register_init: module_register(splash_bmp, c0295624, 0) error 19
>     Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
>
> and no spash, of course.

I think that error means the bitmap resolution is not supported by
the splash screen module. (Could someone put *text* error messages
in the splash screen modules?)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	I'm one of those bad things that happen to good people.