Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 20:31:38 +0100
From:      njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        ac199@hwcn.org, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, Niall Smart <njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk>, nick@foobar.org, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem reports closed by Poul-Henning Kamp [was: Re: misc/6712]

On May 23,  9:05pm, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
} Subject: Re: Problem reports closed by Poul-Henning Kamp [was: Re: misc/67
> In message <35671CD4.7DA01D1@san.rr.com>, Studded writes:
> >>
> >	I think the commentary is more along the lines of there being a problem
> >with a PR being closed at all just because it's fixed in -Current. I
> >have suggested that there be a new state for PR's that have been fixed
> >in -Current and awaiting a commit to -Stable.
>
> Only if a crew of dedicated committers, commit themselves to keeping
> this new state empty on a continuing basis does this proposal have
> any merit.

I have a better suggestion: don't commit fixes to either -stable or
-current unless you are prepared to commit to both.  Obviously this rule
isn't universal, there are bugs which are release specific, or which
would involve a possible destablisation of the -stable tree to properly
fix,  in these cases the decision has to be made after due consideration,
but as a general rule of thumb, I think it makes a lot of sense.

As a -stable user its very annoying to spend a couple of hours chasing
down a problem and writing a patch only to see it disappear into -current
and then to have to chase a committer for days until it applied to
-stable.  And it's especially annoying when the patch is just a quick job
which takes a fraction of the time to apply as it did for me to find
and fix.

Regards,

Niall