Date:      08 Jan 2001 16:54:03 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Email alert

Nimble@meander.addr.com (Nimble) writes:

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 20:03:43 -0000, charlescampbell wrote:
>
> >I wish to have notification of the arrival of a new Email by
> >a pop-up box on the monitor. Is this possible?
>
> Most Probably; but just how it happens will depend upon where the new
> mail is (local or remote) and what softare is in current or most recent
> control over the subject new mail.

Yes, but both KDE and Gnome have "biff" programs that (if I recall
correctly) handle multiple mailboxes and multiple protocols.  The
default X client xbiff(1) is more limited, but available on *every* X
installation.

There are other clients for this sort of thing, as well.  There are
currently 8 hits on "ls -d /usr/ports/mail/*biff*".