Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 10:32:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        haynes@chistech.com (Jeff Haynes)
Cc:        jeff@tenforwd.wiz.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 and slattach

 >I can't seem to get slattach to work with 2.1. Anytime I try to execute
 >it, the error message returns somthing about "sl-1". It appears that
 >slattach is not initializing the unit number correctly.  The unit script
 >is getting "-1 -1"
 >as its parameters. I think that I've been looking at this for too long
 >and need a fresh perspective. What am I missing?

You might verify that you've got support for the SLIP devices in your
kernel (/dev/sl0, /dev/sl1, etc.).  Sounds like that might be missing.
My slattaches automatically seem to pick up the next unused /dev/sl? device
using a kernel with SLIP support.

Here are the relevent sections from my kernel config:

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   sl      2

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device          sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
device          sio3    at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

I run one hard-wired SLIP link using this command in /etc/start_if.sl0:

 slattach -h -c -s 115200 -l /dev/cuaa1

with this sysconfig entry:

 ifconfig_sl0="inet 144.54.61.18 144.54.61.17 netmask 255.255.255.240 mtu 1500"

I also run a dial-up SLIP link on sl1 using this slattach command (wrapped
in my dial-up script):

  slattach -h -c -s 57600 -r MY_REDIAL_SCRIPT /dev/cuaa0

I run a hard-wired PLIP link as well.

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com