Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 14:46:06 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      Ralf Meyer <ralf@thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree causing damage to TFT-display?

Hello,

  as a colleague told me, there is a warning on the German S.u.s.e
website (http://www.suse.de) that on some laptops with Trident Cyber
9385 chipsets the use of XFree might cause permanent damage to the
TFT-display. There is no further explanation of what kind of damage
or what's the reason for this. Since XFree is used by FreeBSD too,
I think this might be of interest for this mailing list.

  Looking around on other websites including www.xfree.org I could
not find any other hint that this problem exists at all. So my
question is: Does anybody know whether there is a problem at all and
what's happening in these systems? If yes, does this affect only the
9385 chipset or are other Trident chipsets also in danger? Any other
comments?

Regards

	Ralf

P.S.: I would greatly appreciate a private copy of every response
since I'm not subscribed to freebsd-mobile. Thanks!