Date:      Sun, 28 Dec 1997 15:56:33 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu
Subject:   Re: Remote gdb (was: no boot: config -g and options DDB)

On Sun, Dec 28, 1997 at 03:32:59PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
>>> with the boot blocks about the port), and the h/w speed will be initialized
>>> (-current neglects to initialize when the speed registers wouldn't change,
>>> but this may leave the h/w behind the registers uninitialized after reset).
>>>

>> this tends to introduce another place that things can get it wrong..
>> I've seen the 'auto speed detection' get really screwy results on some
>> hardware.
>
> It should be safe enough when it is only used when intended - when the
> system is booted with -h.  The following fixes all the screwy cases that
> I know about.
>
> diff -c2 sio.c~ sio.c
>
> (etc)

> I usually use -D in /boot.config so I didn't notice this.

OK, I have it working now.  On the face of it, it looks as if these
fixes did it, but I couldn't be sure without going back and trying
without.  Thanks.

In summary, it appears that you need to build a kernel with COMCONSOLE
and at least one of the sio ports with flags 0x10.  Contrary to my
previous claim, it doesn't have to be sio0: the kernel chooses the
first sio with flags 0x10.  These fixes mean that it will work without
the -h flag.

Again, many thanks.

Greg