Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:46:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <up@3.am>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing server platforms

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, David Wolfskill wrote:

> >Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:20:46 -0400 (EDT)
> >From: <up@3.am>
>
> In FreeBSD, the text file that contains the encrypted passwords is
> /etc/master.passwd.  /etc/passwd and /etc/pwd.db are generated from it;

Yeah, I discovered that after I sent it...I think the first time I glanced
at master.passwd, I just noticed the system and qmail users, which, of
course have a * in the password field...I just noticed the encrypted
passwords when I did a tail on it a few minutes ago :-/

> Big problem I would have with that is that if it were feasible, that
> would imply that you had plain-text passwords around.

I do, but not online <shudder>.

Thanks for all who replied!

up@3.am							    http://3.am