Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:05:23 +0000
From:      Christopher Raven <c.raven@ukonline.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Artwork

As the artwork seems to be cluttering the central discussion, I have
spun it off to its own thread here.

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > As mentioned somewhere in one of these recent threads, back on
> > Oct 2nd Jordan floated the idea that we might want to go with
> > "New artwork for 3.0 CD cover?".  Shortly thereafter he found
> > out that there wasn't enough time to pull together new artwork
> > for the 3.0 release, but I think the floor is still open for
> > newer CD artwork for the next version released (schedule for
> > January 1999, I believe).
>
> I may be having a dutch graphics design house doing it - I talked to
> them recently in Arnhem and need to send them a list of initial ideas
> for Daemon poses (I'm open to suggestions).  I'd ideally like them to
> do 3-4 pictures for various purposes in the first round rather than
> just having a one-size-fits-all graphic.
>
> - Jordan

If we have arrived at an approximate *understanding* that there should
be two awards, one for the fully compliant and one for the not so
(details still being thrashed out for them), then there is IMO no
reason why artwork should be delayed ~ as said above, the CDROM
artwork was delayed ~ artwork doesn't happen overnight. Artwork takes
time and evolves. The fact that we don't know quite where it's going
doesn't mean we shouldn't still keep it rolling. What happens if the
standards are agreed, but artwork is still weeks / months away?

I still think the college / University source for art is a good one.

Is there an overlap between Walnut Creek's and the award artwork
approaching here?

just my 2 kroner worth