Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:07:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        all@biosys.net
Subject:   Re: cvsup confusion

In article <4.3.2.7.2.20010221054413.00c443a0@64.7.7.83>,
Allen Landsidel  <all@biosys.net> wrote:

> Second, I don't mess with cron.. why clutter up your crontab when you have
> /etc/periodic/* at your disposal?
>
> I just stick a script in /etc/periodic/weekly and it does the cvsup,
[...]

There is a problem with this approach.  Suppose everybody did it that
way.  Then at exactly the same time each week, everybody in a given
time zone would be trying to CVSup from their nearby mirrors.  The
mirrors would quickly fill up, and you'd be retrying for hours, along
with everybody else in your time zone.

It's much better to pick a random time and put it in your crontab.

John