Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:11:18 -0700
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPv6 multicast routing

Hi all-

Does anyone do IPv6 multicast routing on FreeBSD? If so, what software do yo=
u use? Any caveats or other things to be aware of?

The only options I have seen are all in net/mcast-tools and I'm having some t=
rouble with each of them. I do have "options MROUTING" in my kernel and IPv6=
 forwarding enabled on each host.

I've had the best luck with "mfc": I can get packets to traverse a single ro=
uter. However I can't get them to traverse a second one in either direction (=
though that may or may not be a problem with mfc itself). The big downer of c=
ourse is that each unicast source and multicast destination has to be explic=
itly spelled out in each direction in the config file. Not at all scalable a=
nd not compatible with the auto-configuration goals of my project.

The one I think I'd like to use is pim6sd. However I have had no luck with e=
ither it or pim6dd. Both will run but not pass packets, and they each compla=
in that they cannot assign the requested ff02::2 address on either interface=
.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

JN=