Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:18:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      Stuart Wogsland <stuartw@adulttoy.thepictureguys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB ucom driver not in dev

I'm having this problem with getting the ucom driver to show up in my
/dev for a USB serial device. I need to connect to this USB device as tty
to control the device. I'm running 5.3-Release and I have made a custom
kernel with the following - I've compiled it the new way.

device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface Commented 2-8-05
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and
da
device          ums             # Mouse
device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device          uscanner        # Scanners
device          ucom            # Communications Port replaces tty
device          uplcom          # USB Generic Serial Driver

When I look in the /dev folder all I see in there is:
usb
usb0
usb1
usb2

No ucom.

When I do a usbdevs -v - I get the following results.
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000)
, rev 1.00
  port 1 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1, USB <->
Serial(0x6001), FTDI
(0x0403), rev 4.00
  port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000)
, rev 1.00
  port 1 powered
  port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000)
, rev 1.00
  port 1 powered
  port 2 powered

So, as you can imagine, I don't know what to do next. Any help would be
greatly appreciated on getting these USB serial device to work.

Thank you.
Stuart Wogsland
Milwaukee, Wisconsin