Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:16:36 -0500
From:      "ravishin" <ravishin@netnitco.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   U.S. Robotics 56K Fax PCI

I have a 3Com PCI Faxmodem that boasted on the box that it was "100%
compatible with Linux" Now I understand that FreeBSD is not Linux, but hey,
are we gonna let Linux do something FreeBSD can't? :)

What happens in Windows when the modem is first detected, is
A. PCI Serial Conroller Found,
B. 3Com Internal PCI Faxmodem Found.
Windows reports:

U.S. Robotics 56K Fax PCI
COM5
IRQ 10
I/O Range 9400-9407

This leads me to believe it has it's own serial comm port on the card, thus
in windows its reported on com5.

What I have tried so far:

I rebuilt the kernel with this line:
device     sio4 at isa? port 0x9400 irq 10

Then, after the kernel was make and booted, I ran sh MAKEDEV all,
but it tells me /dev/cuaa4: device not configured.

If I'm not going in the right direction please help, and If I am can someone
help me along the way.

Thanks in advance,
Nicholas Leskiw