Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:39:26 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        curtesy@mindspring.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting up a raid

-----Original Message-----
From: "curt" <curtesy@mindspring.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:46:44 -0700
Subject: Setting up a raid

I have an Iwill XP333MB that has a built-in Highpoint 372 RAID controller. =
 My problem is with atacontrol and booting. =20

First, I finally figured out that in order to use atacontrol to create the =
raid, you must enter the raid identifier in caps!  The man pages give no =
clue as to this requirement.  Very poor documentation here.

Second, when the RAID is created, it apparently reassigns device names or s=
omething to that effect, as with RAID1 configured, the machine will not b=
oot.  It halts complaining that it cannot find the boot device (which in =
pre-RAID configurtion was ad4s1a).  All I get is the mountroot prompt.  T=
rying to boot using the apparent new boot device (ar0, appearing to be id=
entified in dmesg as the combination of ad4 and ad5) by answering the mou=
ntroot command prompt with ufs:ar0s1a, gives a kernel panic.... it cannot=
 find init or any init derivative.  Where are the instructions or example=
s on how to set this up?  I am stuck..

HELP!

Curt

If it works like my onboard Promise controller, set up
your RAID array in the BIOS and set your machine to
boot from it if that's what you want.  Then Soeren's
very lovely ata driver should allow FreeBSD to grok
this setup automagically.  (Translation: after setting
up the BIOS, boot into the install.  Fdisk and
disklabel will show you the array.  Just put your
partitions where you want them and you're good to go.)

Jud