Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 2008 08:03:52 +0200
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Subject:   Re: GEOM gotcha upgrading from 6.x to 7.x

--gvF4niNJ+uBMJnEh

Hello,

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 07:49:12AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> Yesterday, I planned to try an upgrade from 6.x to 7.x on one of the
> servers at work, on the assumption that I could reasonably easily
> revert to 6.x if things went bad.  My confidence in being able to
> do that was severely shaken when I saw "Upgrading metadata" messages
> for both geom_mirror disks when the 7.x kernel booted.
>=20
> Whilst I did not need to revert, some examination of the geom_mirror
> source shows that (as I feared), a 6.x kernel will choke on a 7.x
> geom_mirror.

I didn't try now, but from my experience it should be fairly easy to=20
revert: Boot without gmirror from one the disks with the old kernel.=20
Have an old world available (CD, not yet installworld'ed) an write=20
gmirror label from single user mode with old metadata, add the other=20
disk and rebuild (more or less just go the way you go to setup a=20
bootable gmirror from an existing system).

You would be in more trouble if you had some kind of real RAID format=20
(like a RAID 5 or something) on the disk, but gmirror is basically a set=20
of metadata whilst any single disk of the mirror is actually in a=20
format, that can be used without gmirror.

I agree, that this is not actually straigt forward (as downgrading isn't=20
anyhow), but for the case "I see my 7.x kernel choking when upgrading=20
=66rom 6.x to 7.x" it should still be easy enough for an experienced=20
admin.

Greetings,
		Oliver

--=20
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |
|               Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe.               |
| Eine gewerbliche Nutzung aller enthaltenen Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |

--gvF4niNJ+uBMJnEh

--gvF4niNJ+uBMJnEh--