Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:51:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        a.hilliar@worldnet.att.net (Andrew Hilliard)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INSTALLATIONM ON A HP PAVILION 8670C

> Hi,
>
> I am haviing the worst time trying to install FreeBSD
> on a HP Pavilion 8670C.It has ATAPI CD-ROMS
> and when I attempted to do an installation
> of FreeBSD with version 4.7 of the software
> it failed. I attempted to do an installation from a
> MS-DOS partition and thatb also failed.
> The softwae error message was that it couldnot swap
> to the swap space I created for it through Partition magic.

I don't understand why you are trying to create a separate slice
for swap with Partition Magic.   Maybe you are confusing the
concepts of slice and partition - which is easy to confuse since
Microsloth uses the terms differently from BSD UNIX namely FreeBSD.
The major divisions you create with Partition Magic are called slices
in FreeBSD but called partitions in MSland.   If the FreeBSD world,
you forther divide slices in to partitions named a-h.   One of
those [sub]divisions - normally 'b' is reserved for swap.

Even if you decided to make a separate slice to be used for swap,
you would need to furtner "divide" it in to at least one partition
(again probably labeled 'b') that could be designated as swap.  The
system does not access slices per se for any normally addresses
activity such as file space or swap.

So, with Partition Magic you create a slice for MS-DOS and one
for FreeBSD (up to four different slices if you want/need).
Probably slice 1 will be MS and slice 2 (or maybe 4 is common) will
be designated for FreeBSD.

I'll assume you have managed to get the MS stuff in the MS slice.

Then you do the install in to the other (FreeBSD) slice.
when you do the install, you divide up that FreeBSD slice
in to separate partitions.

You can do then on by hand yourself on a disk if you already have
FreeBSD running by using first 'fdisk' and then 'disklabel.   Fdisk
creates the major divisions called slices (and maniputates the Master
Boot Record [MBR] which allows you to select between bootable slices).
Disklabel creates the subdivisions called partitions (and manipulates
the boot blocks in bootable slices).

The installation utility (/stand/sysinstall) does all that for
you with a sort-of-gui-ish interface.   It collects the information
for the slices and runs fdisk and then the information for partitions
and runs disklabel.

Anyway, don't try to create a 'slice' for swap.   Use the 'b' partition
within the FreeBSD slice.

////jerry