Date:      Thu, 9 May 1996 11:23:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG, nisha@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: more than 32 scsi disks on a single machine ?

> > >Can we connect more than 32 disks on a single machine?  I tried
> >
> > No.

[...]
> > >#define	makedev(x,y)	((dev_t)(((x) << 8) | (y)))	/* create dev_t */
> >
> > >So it seems like we're limited to 32 disks.
> >
> > This limits us to 16777216 disks, or only 8388606 disks if we avoid using
> > the high bit to avoid sign extension bugs.  The limit is in dkunit() in
> > <sys/disklabel.h>

[...]
> > There are lots of things to change.  The encoding would have to be really
> > ugly to preserve compatibility with existing device nodes.
>
> What if we don't give a damn about existing device nodes?  :-)  "Take the
> plunge".
[...]
> I understand how this device node scheme came to be.  I just happen to
> think that however and whenever possible, we should work to remove such
> constraints.  :-)

Peter Wemm and I have designed (and I have SOME code for)
a complete revamp of the disk system..
it is a total and complete rewrite, and will use a different
(single) major-number/entrypoint for all disk type devices.
it will require devfs to be really useful, though it can be
hacked to work without it with preassigned numbers.