Date:      27 Apr 1998 00:02:17 -0500
From:      sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

Studded <Studded@san.rr.com> writes:

> 	WINE is a good case of an app that doesn't work in freebsd because the
> developers all use linux and don't care about cross-platform
> portability.

Well... the problem there which I'm aware of is that they want to
support win32 threading, and they're doing it on top of clone().  I"m
not sure whether they're could/should/are doing this on
pthreads... but I do know (a) threading in freebsd needs more work (b)
clone() is one of the things that will be implemented in freebsd.

I've run into another linux app--a neat mp3 player--that also needed
threads and so didn't run well under freebsd.

So I could be wrong, but it sounds like they need a feature which
freebsd doesn't *yet* provide.  I'm not sure this is their fault.

>  Several of the apps that are packaged with afterstep
> are examples of authors that are proud to be linux only.

You mean like cpu meters? those are always os dependant (at least
partially).

> 	This problem is much more widespread than many in the freebsd camp
> realize, and cuts to the heart of why linux has a much more rabid
> and devoted following. There is more "cool stuff" for linux and much
> of it is linux only.

In most cases, however, isn't this because linux supports a feature
that freebsd doesn't which is essential to the nature of the app,
e.g., threading? (also possibly multimedia or device support that
might lack in freebsd).

Anyway, I'm not sure that this discussion has any point (at least the
side I'm arguing ;-). what should we do?  What's the goal?

--

Steve Farrell