Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:57:05 -0500
From:      Ean Kingston <ean@hedron.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ann kok <annkok2001@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: ping question

On February 12, 2005 11:50 am, ann kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I ping from redhat to cisco router and freebsd router
> but I don't understand ttl (time to live)

ttl is 'time-to-live' it is a counter. Every router that the ping packet goes
through subtracts 1 from the ttl value. When it reaches 0 (zero), the router
that got the zero replies with a 'ttl exceeded message'. If the ping packet
reaches it's destination before the ttl  goes to zero, it replies with a
'ping reply'. This helps with diagnosis of network configuration issues.

> Cisco router has ttl=251 and freebsd router has 58
> Does it set by the router itself?
> Can I change it in freebsd?

You control the ttl value from the place you send the ping from (in your
description the RedHat system).

When using ping from FreeBSD the -m parameter is used to set the initial
value. I believe the initial value can be anything from 0 to 255. The default
varies from system to system but the most common is 255.

> Thank you

[cut sample ping output]
--
Ean Kingston