Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:00:04 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot problems / redirection unexpected

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> hello,
>
> Trying to boot 6.3. There seems to be some problem with /etc/rc.subr
> it gives me some message about redirection unexpected. I am trying to
> copy this file form a back-up to /etc but when I do that it says:
> read-only file system.
>
> I should add that I am operating as root (could not go into multiuser).
>
> What are my options now? How do I make files in /etc writeable so that
> I can copy the file from backup?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Zbigniew Szalbot

So it seems your problems were far more than not getting a GENERIC
kernel...
I guess this is the machine where you merged the changes of the conf files?

If you do have a backup, reboot into single user mode and do something
like:

mount -o rw /

This will remount you root partition read-write and you will be able to
copy the backup back.