Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 01:06:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      Piero Serini <piero@strider.ibenet.it>
To:        ipc1@tribeca.ios.com (Dale Benzer)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Su Password & X start

Hello.

Quoting from Dale Benzer (Sun Dec 17 06:30:39 1995):
> I just installed 2.1 and try to log in as su but the system wants a
> password. I set a password for root in the Install program but this
> doesn't do it. What the heck is the password?

You  don't have to login as "su". "su" isn't a login, it's a com-
mand.  The meaning of the message you get  when  you  log  in  as
root,  is:  don't use "root", login is as yourself, say "dale" or
whatever you chose as your personal login, then use the "su" com-
mand  (/usr/bin/su)  to  become  superuser.  You  must  be in the
"wheel" group to be authorized to use the "su" command to  become
root.

> Second, I installed X312 through the Install program. I ran the config
> program through the Install program. I try to "startx" or "xinit" and I
> get command not found. I chmod-ed /usr with u+x. Can you help me with
> this?

Do you have the appropriate directory in your path? If you have a
/bin/sh as your login shell, type "echo $PATH". If you use a  csh
type   "set"   and   see   if   the   "path"   variable  contains
/usr/X11R6/bin.

Bye,
--
#        $Id: .signature,v 1.12 1995/08/14 12:10:54 piero Exp $
Piero Serini                                            Via Giambologna, 1