Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 06:36:36 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, stesin@gu.net
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org, phk@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

>> > You are using an NCR controller, or some other SCSI controller that
>> > reads the partition table out of the MBR.  The 'dangerously dedicated'
>> > mode won't work with these controllers, as they become _very_ confused
>> > by it.
>>
>> 	I've been using NCR's for 2 years and even now a box with one
>> 	is near me installed a while ago. Each and every such a box
>> 	with just any HDD brand was installed in a 'dangerously dedicated'
>> 	fascion and it just worked.
>
>*shrug* Bruce recently posted the results of some tests he performed,
>which matched with my empirical observations that the NCR BIOS reads
>the contents of the MBR and reports its geometry to match.

They pick a default geometry when they become confused.  I think it follows
the rules posted by Darryl Okahata.  The number of heads and sectors/track
is chosen to make the number of cylinders <= 1024 if possible.

>I've lost cou8nt of the number of NCR-using systems I've installed;
>I'm sure that I've used the DD option before and it's worked, but I've
>certainly had more than a few cases where users have selected it and
>been bitten.

They get bitten when they can't remember the geometry and tell FreeBSD
another geometry, or when they move the drive to a lesser controller
than can't support the geometry.

Bruce