Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 16:27:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iamexwi.unibe.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.0 freezes with tekram scsi

Hello

I sucessfully installed 4.0 release on a machine with a tekram dc 395 scsi
controller.

To boot the installation I used bootdisks made from images from
ftp.tekram.com/scsi (kern.flp and mfsroot.flp as usual).
At the end of the installation I had to substitute /kernel with a kernel
also taken from the tekram ftp site.

I then booted the new system and tried to patch and rebuild the kernel as
it is said in the tekram readme. But whenever I try to do something that
uses a bit of cpu resources (such as ps, top, or gcc), the system hangs.
I suppose there is something wrong with this tekram kernel.

Has anyone else had this experience?
What I'll try next is to compile the kernel on a different machine (my one
and only freebsd machine, a production system, pheew :)
I hope this will work.

Thanks for any hints, Tobe