Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 13:54:10 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com (Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com)
Cc:        sterrett@cts.com, questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: STREAMS

#define quoting(Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com)
// >>   I took a look at linux streams implementation and that is completely
// >> out-performing.  We could do really better if there was critical mass
// >> enough to start this project.
//
// Not to be a skeptic (OK, to be a skeptic) what solid data supports
// this linux streams thing being "completely out-performing"?  Not to
// bash the Linux folks, but their enthusiasm and exhuberance many times
// overwhelms their ability to judge accurately.

  Oooooooooooooooooooooooops...

  English is not my own language and maybe I have expressed myself wrong.
Sorry.   8^)

  With out-performing I wanted to say: "out of an acceptable performance",
"bad performing".

  I say this because ALL of it's buffer allocation scheme is based on the
kernel malloc()/free() functions, and not on a pre-allocated buffer pool.

  Maybe STREAMS implementation could be more easily implemented if we
noted the similarities with the BSD scheme, since both derive from
the eighth edition streams.  (Red Book, page 15)

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698 ( Job )			jonny@cisi.coppe.ufrj.br