Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2017 13:03:07 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade old System

> On 11 November 2017, at 02:18, Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>=20
>=20
>>> Unfortunately, re-installation is not possible.  Its just not
>>> accessible except via ssh.
>=20
>> Okay, this is limiting your options. Maybe you can use source
>> update, but not directly from 8.2 to 11.1, but instead to 9.0,
>> 10.0, 11.0; it's possible that you also need to upgrade each
>> of the major versions to the maximum minor version first, then
>> make the switch to the next major version.
>=20
> One thing to check before you start: is the root partition large =
enough?
> The space required for the root has grown steadily over the years and
> complaints about running out of space used to be a regular refrain on
> the lists when a new major release came out.  Much less of a problem
> nowadays given the installer defaults to a single big partition for
> pretty much everything.

I've been bit by that a few times.  Some of the servers started out on =
version 3.5 and have been updated until 9.x.  While those have gone away =
recently, I got hit twice by that issue on each over the years of =
upgrades.  This machine has only one partition per drive.  For some =
reason, I don't recall, I put /usr on a separate drive.  It doesn't need =
to be as this is a demo machine for a client.  It only needs 13 GB =
total.  Anyway, looking at the effort required to incrementally upgrade =
vi freebsd-update, it's just not worth the time.  All the production =
servers went via the upgrade process over the years. This one lost it's =
internet connection and sat unused for many years.  So I know the =
upgrade path is viable, but I remember the work involved.  I am =
currently building a copy of the production system into the demo system =
and will scp it up when finished.  My main concern is that when the =
drive has been upgraded via tar, will the kernel still work enough to be =
able to reboot?  The shutdown binary will have been replaced with the =
new one.  I suspect I will need to use the shutdown in /rescue to avoid =
issues with upgraded libraries.

-- Doug