Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:36:51 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        hellmuth.michaelis@t-online.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM ATA Deskstars *without* tagged queueing?

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 08:07:27PM +0200, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> Exactly the same thing happened here with a IC35L020AVER07-0; it did not
> do tagging and i bought it (and many other IBM drives) because of that.
[snip]
> It turned out that the drive i bought had DELL firmware in it [ :-)))) ]
> so they sent me an updated DELL firmware, but that did not enable tagged
> support. I asked for a cross update program to get IBM firmware; they
> had none. They wrote one :-), i got it and now my drive does tagged
> command queueing.
>
> And all this for a dirt cheap drive ...

This is exactly the sort of thing I'd suspected. If you look at that article
(URL in previous post) then as you can see they've significantly changed the
manufacturing process (even made at a different plant).

Are there any shortcuts to dealing with IBM OEM support or any aspects of
their process? It would be helpful to know before I start the same dialogue
with them re: my DeskStar 120GXP.

If you could send myself as well as Soren a copy of the firmware you received
in the end, too, that would be great. :-)

Many thanks for unraveling this mystery!
BMS