Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:04:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Agent Drek <drek@MonsterByMistake.Com>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: access floppy rw to lock system

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Chad R. Larson wrote:

|Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:14:56 -0700 (MST)
|From: Chad R. Larson <chad@DCFinc.com>
|To: Agent Drek <drek@MonsterByMistake.Com>
|Cc: freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
|Subject: Re: access floppy rw to lock system
|
|As I recall, Agent Drek wrote:
|>
|> I have a repeatable problem on my FreeBSD-3.4Stable workstation.  If
|> the floppy disk is physically tabbed as read-only and I mount it rw I
|> can then 'lock' the system up by using vim (to read a text-file on the
|> disk ...  less had the same problem).  Is this expected behaviour?  I
|> did this from the console and could still <Alt> between the virtual
|> consoles.  The only way to get going again was to reboot.  After that
|> happened twice I tabbed the disk writable and things were fine.
|
|I'd start by asking, "Why would you do that?"
|
|If you make the media read-only at the hardware level, by all means
|mount it read-only.

I'm not used to ever using a floppy disk, no need until I got ether-
net card and needed info from damn diskette.

|If you're just asking why this interesting phenomenon occurs, that's
|a different question.  I'm not sure if it's an MS-DOS filesystem,
|but a UFS mount will want to modify the superblock with the mount
|time and mount point.

and should hang the ENTIRE system if it can't!?!

I'm asking because I used the default way of thinking ...
mount /floppy
I usually use vim to read big files ...

I'm happy to know that this is a way to instantly hang a freebsd
server. This felt wrong to me so I thought I would try and get
a second opinion. What if the disk was just corrupt .. could the
same behaviour happen?

was msdosfs (m$-driver disk). One person mailed me off list to say
that they too had done this once as well.

thanks,

    =derek

Monster By Mistake Inc > 'digital plumber'
http://www.interlog.com/~drek