Date:      Sun, 28 Dec 1997 16:56:06 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, julian@whistle.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote gdb (was: no boot: config -g and options DDB)

On Sat, Dec 27, 1997 at 10:06:09PM -0800, Chris Timmons wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> Are you sure it chooses the first sio with flags 0x10, or does the first
>>> boot prompt get squirted out all eligible sio units?
>>
>> It's in sioncprobe(), the function for which Bruce supplied the
>> patches.  It goes out and looks for the first "enabled" console, does
>> its thing and breaks out of the loop.  Its thing includes setting the
>> variable siocniobase, which is used by the other serial console
>> routines to specify the output port.
>>
>> This stuff's pretty basic.  Don't expect it to be clever enough to
>> maintain the pressure in multiple pipes :-)
>
> Hmmm - well allow me to babble some more when I should instead be UTS.
>
> Is it the case then that flags 0x50 is presently just a hush for the
> serial console (i.e. you have to have both flags on the same unit and
> couldn't have sio0 with flags 0x10 and sio1 with flags 0x40 - preserving a
> serial console at sio0 while debugging on sio1.)

Well, I've never used the 0x40 bit.  According to the documentation,
it's for "Low-Level" serial communication, and it appears to work by
not creating the device if it's specified.  It might be the way that
it was intended: boot with -h to set the serial hardware, and then
disconnect the serial console again after the boot message.  It does
work, anyway.  Bruce's patch makes more sense.

> How would you start the debugger at boot on an sio with flags 0x40?
> I remember seeing Bruce's commit messages about this so I can go
> back and look.

I've just tried it with flags 0x50, and it works fine.  I still think
it's a bit superfluous, but it would help protect the gdb port from
other activities.

Greg