Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 17:24:09 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: software to do tape backup software

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:26:51PM -0400, alexus thus sprach:

> I bought a TAPE Drive to do daily backup of my server

> can someone suggest me any software that will be able to do that?

You can use the standard OS supplied programs such as tar or cpio.

I also sell/support a commercial program in a couple of sites and
it's great for remote sites.  It is menu driven for easy setup and
one of it's nicest features is that it rewinds the tape afterward
and does a bit-level compare to see that the data on the tape
matches that on the hard drive and if it does'nt it emails the
client and myself a copy of the failure.

This is good because the client sites don't always read the email,
or the sites that I print this sometimes someone doens't get the
printout delivered to the correct person.

But if you are reasonbly competent - as I'd assume most users are
this list are - I'd go tar of cpio.  I used both at times.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com