Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 19:31:22 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        KitCat <phuture.kitcat@gmx.de>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need some help on ibm whistler = interjetII

KitCat wrote:
> i  want  the  root  access,  because i=B4ve a dsl-internet-connection, =
and i isn=B4t
> supported  by  the  ij-package  at  now.  so  i  hope,  that  i can act=
ivate the
> dsl-feature  with  root  access.  i  hope,  you  are  not rolling over =
the floor
> laughing  ;-) perhaps, you know a better (low-cost) solution, that i fi=
nally can
> use   the   ij   as   router/firewall/ftp-server(/mail-server???).  btw=
: i=B4ve no
> static ip :-) another handicap (i think)...

THe answer is that that's a subscription key controlled feature,
and costs more money to activate.  You have to download a key
as part of the ACL configuration talking to your NOC, and to do
that, basically someone at the NOC provider has to put key codes
into "Commander" (the database at the NOC).

Having root access wouldn't give you a cryptographically correct
key signature that matches the public key on the InterJet itself.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to put a DSL modem
on the permiter network, and beg Archie to tell you how to
dump and reload the existing ACL to set your default route
out the permiter neteork, rather than the WAN interface.

I could tell you more, but I'd have to kill you.  8-).

-- Terry