Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:26:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        charon@freethought.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wrong config for kernel

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 charon@freethought.org wrote:

>Yeeeeees... this of course assumes I know how to do this... I used CTM to
>build a source tree, and I ran 'make world' per the instructions on
><http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html>;
>... shouldn't this update the kernel sources?  And, sorry to sound even
>slower than usual, but... what are the kernel sources?  Isn't the thing

The above does update the kernel sources but it does not build a new
kernel.

The kernel sources are in /usr/src/sys or equivalent. You need to use
cvsup (or equivalent) to update them. Also, you must build your kernel
seperately from 'make world'.

>that matters the file I make from GENERIC?  (Actually, after running make
>world I got a file called GENERICupgrade, and used that... does that

This file is _only_ the config file. It tells the config program how to
prepare the kernel build. You must then cd to the build directory and make
depend; make; make install. There are good instructions for this in the
handbook.

Concepts in case I wasn't clear earlier:
make world is seperate from a kernel build.
make world is seperate from fetching the latest sources.
The kernel config file is _not_ the kernel source code.
The source is in /usr/src (yours is a bit different)
Kernel source is in /usr/src/sys (yours is a bit different)

Also a bit of netiquette, don't cross post your question. I have trimmed
out -questions as you were running stable.

Catchya Later,		|	Give me UNIX or give me a typewriter.
Jason Wells		|	http://www.freebsd.org/