Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:15:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      larse@isi.edu
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/22874: newpcm CS461x sound problems

>Number:         22874
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       newpcm CS461x sound problems
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD hbo.isi.edu 4.2-BETA FreeBSD 4.2-BETA #0: Mon Nov 13 09:07:45 PST 2000     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IDPRIO  i386

Every once in a few hours of audio playback, newpcm will choke and sound
output will be scratchy/hissing from then on until I reboot the machine. Sounds
kinda like when you had dust collected on the needle of your record player
back when we were still using them.

I've not been able to reproduce this consistently (i.e. it chokes at a
certain time in one sound file, after a reboot that same file will play
fine.)

Here's my info:

[larse@hbo: ~] cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Nov 10 2000 12:59:49
Installed devices:
pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> at irq 5 (1p/1r channels duplex)

[larse@hbo: ~] uname -a
FreeBSD hbo.isi.edu 4.2-BETA FreeBSD 4.2-BETA #68: Fri Nov 10
13:00:17 PST 2000     larse@hbo.isi.edu:/usr/src-idprio/sys/compile/IDPRIO
i386

Sorry I can't be more specific; if I had to guess I'd say some internal
newpcm struct gets bashed by a rare pointer error...