Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 2010 09:55:43 -0500
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        Patrick Bihan-Faou <patrick.bihan-faou@teambox.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sorry state of the rsync based CVS,replication

On Oct 27, 2010, at 7:45 AM, Patrick Bihan-Faou wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> We use FreeBSD extensively and keep a local mirror of the CVS =
repository. Up until recently things where working properly with the =
various servers listed in =
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mirrors-rsync.html, but sometime =
during the summer ftp13.freebsd.org did not respond anymore and since =
then rsync replication is broken.
>=20
> The main issue (besides the removal of ftp13.freebsd.org) is that most =
rsync sources refuse to replicate the content of the .Attic directories =
in the CVS tree. This means that performing a check-out on ports using a =
tag usually won't work as some files will not be there anymore.
>=20
> Here are the typical logs I get using most rsync servers:
>=20
> rsync: opendir =
"/3/freebsd-core/development/FreeBSD-CVS/ports/chinese/pcmanx/files/Attic"=
 (in vol) failed: Permission denied (13)
>=20
> At this moment the only rsync server that provides an adequate =
replication of the CVS repository is ftp2.tw.FreeBSD.org.
>=20
> We are moving to svn and svnsync for the freebsd source tree (and I am =
happy with this), but the ports do not seem to be available using SVN =
(or not in a documented way).
>=20
> Can something be done to restore RSYNC mirroring of the CVS tree to a =
working state ?
>=20
>=20
> Best regards,
>=20
> Patrick Bihan-Faou

I run ftp3.us.freebsd.org / ftpmirror.your.org that has full rsync =
support of everything we have on our FTP mirror as well:

# rsync -rav  =
ftp3.us.freebsd.org::FreeBSD-CVS/ncvs/ports/chinese/pcmanx/files/Attic .
receiving incremental file list
Attic/
Attic/patch-po-zh_TW.po,v
Attic/patch-src-core-Makefile.in,v
Attic/patch-src-generalprefpage.cpp,v
Attic/patch-src-mainframe.cpp,v
Attic/patch-src-notifier-notifier-impl.c,v
Attic/patch-src-stringutil.cpp,v
Attic/patch-src-telnetcon.h,v
Attic/patch-src-telnetview.cpp,v
Attic/patch-src-termview.cpp,v
Attic/patch-src-view-telnetview.cpp,v

If this doesn't work for you for some reason, drop me a note privately =
and I'll look into it.

-- Kevin