Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 1995 17:58:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk (Nik Clayton)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: X

> More an X problem, but someone else might have seen it.
>
> I've just installed 2.0.5 (latest SNAP) and X86 3.1.1.
>
> However, if do 'startx' after instlaling X, it complains that xinit
> can't find the server. Specifically, that 'X' is no in my path.

Just guessing:

X is a symbolic link to the appropriate X server you want to use.
if X is there (the symbolic link) but the executable it is linked to,
e.g. XF86_SVGA then which X will return /usr/X11R6/bin/X but
trying to execute /usr/X11R6/bin/X will result in
/usr/X11R6/bin/X: Command not found.
when the executable isn't there.

> This despite the fact that /usr/X11R6/bin is definitely in the path, and
> both "which X" and "which XF86_SVGA" return the correct locations. In
> addition, I can do "startx -- /usr/X11R6/bin/X" and it works correctly.
>
> So it's not exactly a life threatening problem, but a bit of a curiosity
> none the less.

> =-[Opinion, n: See the above text for an example]=-=[Kibo #: e]-[RYRYRY]=-=
> =-[The Silly Sod Society: To perfect and to swerve]=-[beable]-=[TP U BG]=-=
> Happiness: An agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery
> of another.

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.0-BUILT-19950701 FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-
19950701 #0: Sat Jul  1 15:37:15  1995     kuku@monk.physik.rwth-aachen.d
e:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386