Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 13:48:06 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        eivind@yes.no, rnordier@nordier.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Replacing gcc as the system compiler (was Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning)

>Have you looked closely at XANDF?  I'm seeing two real hurdles (beyond
>inertia) in using this as our main compiler: The use of asm() for some
>macros in the kernel, and the use of linker sets.  What do you think
>our chance of working around these are?

Linker sets are just asm().  Too bad - I'd like another excuse to kill
them.  asm() is not sue much in macros, but is used a lot in inline
functions.  I see inline functions as the main hurdle.  Chances of
replacing them at reasonable cost are low.

>There is also what looks like a bug in handling of NULL - it doesn't
>allow the use of ((void *)0) as NULL for function pointers.

gcc used to have this bug too.  Apparently, the C standard can easily
be read as not allowing conversion from (void *)0 to a function pointer.
The standard doesn't allow conversion from an object pointer to a
function pointer, but (void *)0 is is a null pointer constant and
null pointer constants are special.

Bruce