Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 09:36:26 +1000
From:      & Reilly <andrew@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Pedro Giffuni S," <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fun with DOSCMD (was Re: modifying boot mgrs FROM FREEBSD)

On Mon, Aug 11, 1997 at 09:24:16AM -0700, Pedro Giffuni S, wrote:
> Søren Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > Give me the means to run realmode code from within the kernel, and I'll
> > teach syscons how to use it :)
> >
> How does X11 do it? svgalib is supposed to be based on X11, but it seems
> like they nuked everything related with coherence and stability.

Maybe now that XFree has produced a working framework for
accelerated graphics hardware (XAA) this could be used to
design a propper intelligent frame buffer device that could
be properly part of the FreeBSD kernel, and used by syscons
and X alike, with X reverting to its original role of
primitives on top of a frame buffer, rather than a user-mode
device driver.

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."