Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:08:48 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1008724128.954446@mired.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@highperformance.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boston Globe Article (fwd)

Ok, I probably shouldn't do this, and should let Jordan speak for
himself, but ...

Jason C. Wells <jcwells@highperformance.net> types:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Annelise Anderson wrote:
> This is funny. Correct me if I am wrong, but Jordan has always championed
> FreeBSD as a server OS.  He has consistently taken the tack that If
> someone wants a FreeBSD "desktop" (whatever that means) then they can hack
> at it.

I dunno - when I first met Jordan, he was doing desktop Unix support
at UC Berkeley.  I think he may have grasped the reality that FreeBSD
isn't going to displace Windows on the desktop, and therefore
concentrated on making it the best servero OS possible.

> I also seem to recall an interview where Jordan decried world domination
> mindsets of the early unix vendors and the "green before red" in the kilts
> comments of open source movements.

The closest I can recall to that is his decrying what I called the
"balkanization" of the Unix market, and doing things to avoid that
with FreeBSD. If he carries that attitude into Apple so that they keep
the underlying Unix standard so that commercial Unix tools build on it
just like any other Unix variant, that would be great.

	<mike