Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 12:18:12 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLIP with chat/slattach (was Re: startslip ...)

> > OK, here is a quick README along with some files that may make your life
> > easier.  If someone feels it's worth adding to the FAQ, by all means
> > feel free.
>
> Doesn't work.. :-(
>
> Like I said, slattach and ppp simply don't get along in 2.1..

Hmm, that's news to me, since it's currently running on my box with *NO*
problems.

trout:/home/sup % uname -a
FreeBSD trout.sri.MT.net 2.1.0-951020-SNAP FreeBSD 2.1.0-951020-SNAP #0: Mon Oct 23 22:30:37 MDT 1995     root@trout:/usr/src/sys/compile/TROUT  i386
trout:/home/sup % uptime
12:16PM  up 13:05, 3 users, load averages: 1.09, 1.18, 1.16

> And so on..  Grrrrrrrr!

That's *really* strange.  I'm using an external modem connected to cuaa1
which is a serial port with a 16550AF.  I don't know what else to tell
you.  I'm also running a getty on /dev/ttyd1 for occasions on when I
kill the link and want to login and re-start it, but I don't think that
would make a difference.

I haven't recompiled anything on my box and it works, although I'm in
the process or re-building things as we speak to install directly from
source.

Nate