Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 00:07:29 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE bad sectors and secondary master instalation

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 10:52:53PM +0000, Nuno Teixeira wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
> I've got two questions that I can't solve and I don't find the right docs
> for them:
>
> 1. IDE disks bad sectors:
> Recently I installed an IDE disk with a lot bad
> sectors to experiment a real situation and I get  a lot of errors with
> fsck and errors related to the read/write of the damaged sectors.
>
> The question is: what's the best way to solve the bad sectors problem on
> IDE disks? There is anyway of "mark" the bad serctor so the OS doesn't
> write to them?

In FreeBSD 3.x and earlier such remapping could be done with the bad144
command. Support for this has been removed in FreBSD 4.x and later.
Part of the reason for this is that modern IDE disks do remapping of bad
sectors themselves with the result that by the time you start to notice the
bad sectors the disk is in quite bad shape. By then you should get a new
disk since the old one will probably make you lose data.

> 2. Secondary master to primary master change
>
> I have a motherboard that have the primary master and slave broken but
> it worked with the disk installed on the secundary master interface.
> Recently I purchase a new motherboard and installed the disk on the
> primary master. My problem is that the FreeBSD stops on single user mode
> and it gives the error that it can't mount the rest of the partitions. I
> noticed that the slices are like "ad2s1f" and I think that it must be like
> "ad0s1f" to work on the primary master.
>
> There is anyway of changing this to work.

Change the entries in /etc/fstab to reflect the new configuration. (And you
are quite correct that it should be changed from "ad2s1f" to "ad0s1f")

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson