Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:02:47 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        "Cox, Tim" <Tim.Cox@jacobs.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Blown FSTAB

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 11:06:02AM -0500, Cox, Tim wrote:
> Help!
>
> While in the process of loading quotas into the fstab, I incorrectly typed
> in "rw,quotauser" into the /etc/fstab. Now my
> system, will not boot. Any ideas? I can CAT and CP the /etc/fstab file but
> VI will not work.

That is because vi(1) is located in /usr/bin. Type whatever command is
applicable in your system to mount /usr at the command prompt in
single user mode. An example would be,

# mount /dev/wd0s1f /usr

Then you can use /usr/bin/vi.

Of course, you could skip all of that and edit /etc/fstab with ed(1),
/bin/ed.