Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 23:24:33 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Cc:        kris@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD port: curl-7.2.1

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 08:16:05AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> I couldn't help noticing the curl 7.2.1 information on
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=curl&stype=all
>
> ... it says it requires "autoconf-2.13, automake-1.4, m4-1.4". It really
> doesn't. It only requires those packages if you want to modify the makefiles
> or the configure script, which most of the people who download curl have no
> intention of doing.

I believe the port patches the configure script and needs autoconf in
order to rebuild them. The m4 is a second-level dependency of those ports.

> If you *are* going to list what software that's needed to develop the
> software, surely autoconf-2.13 and m4-1.4 should be present on almost every
> package you have listed in the ports section.

Only those where we need to regenerate the configure.in stuff, etc.

> And more, curl 7.3 is out.

Yep, thanks - someone else submitted this a few days ago, but I havent
yet had time to upgrade it.

> Thanks for doing a good job!

Thanks for the feedback!

Kris