Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:07:54 +0200
From:      Volker Kindermann <freebsd@secspace.de>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xf86cfg gives file letting startx work, but not xdm

Hi hawk,

> startx works for root, but xdm doesn't work--it kills the server every
>
> few seconds before the login widget appears (the mouse works).

do you have a /root/.xinitrc File? I think so. But do you have a
/root/.xsession File? I don't think so.

Copy your /root/.xinitrc to /root/.xsession and chmod it to 600. Have a
look in .xsession. The last command (mostly the window-manager must
start with "exec" (without the "").

If this don't work either, post your ~/.xsession file here.

Hope that helps
 -volker